Thanks Dave for noting Matt Young's efforts. He had sent some detailed e-mail
regarding George Pond a few years ago.
In fact, as for preserving habitats, as a sole person, Matt Young has done
great job. He has played key role in preserving some bog habitats in our
locations including McIllroy Preserve and one of the Cornell Plantations
natural areas.  So if you are interested in preservation you don't need whole
jingbang, one person can do a lot. If more people are involved it is great and
sometimes not great. So don't feel that nobody else is doing anything. You go
ahead do what has to be done! Changes begin with one person  behaving
differently.

As for ethics, there definitely has been change in birders behaviors and
attitude. All the past references of harming or not harming are no more
applicable. Modern gadgets have definitely played a role. Then very few people
used to play playbacks now everyone wants to use that technique to see the
birds. I have myself have seen in SFO class in last few years, as soon as some
bird is heard, some of the students who carry around their gadgets immediately
want to do playback so that they can see the bird clearly and up close. So
there is sharp rise in birders who want dirty and quick way to see the birds.
Also, as Marie mentioned number of photographers who want to get good photos
have started using playbacks. There is a quite rise in people who use playbacks
and will be rising further in next few years.

And there are evidences in many cases where the birds are stressed in instances
such as Punta Tumbo penguins that are being continuously visited by tourists is
making them nervous. The park people have done variety of things to reduce
stress to the birds. I watched one penguin, seeing some people walk by, to
reach the safety he climbed the stairs used by humans. When the danger passed,
meaning the human walked away, then he could not figure out how to get down as
he could not see the land. He was so nervous spent 10 minutes figuring out how
to climb down. After he climbed down, he walked very fast away from that
location. A recent paper did conclude that birds were stressed when people were
around.  In last two three years there are quite a few studies to show stress
in birds when humans, including scientists interfere with them. So it is not
necessary use play back just to tick a bird as sport. Often people do some
things unknowingly as they are not educated enough to understand the
complexities. So if birders are educated correctly right from the beginning
with the reasoning, they will behave correctly. Of course there are always
exceptions.  Or as one of my friends used to call them "yahoos".

One more thing, all individual birds are not same. Like us some are bolder and
others are nervous wreck. So one glove does not fit all hands. So if one bird
at one location was fine at a given point may not necessarily mean this would
be the case next time.

If people have some patience and wait for things to happen quietly, one can
hear or see all kinds of things. One day I spent almost whole day at Marten's
tract, I heard Sora, Virginia rail, bittern and Sandhill cranes within an hour
or so.

I myself have been stressed by continuous sphishing by my fellow birders on
some of the trips, and have been irritated by this. So if I get irritated, I am
sure birds also feel the same. Bird watching itself is stressful to birds as we
are watching them, they are aware we are watching them. Many of them take off
or others hide behind branches so they do not see you.

So why should we stress them more by adding additional stressors? Therefore,
there should be judicious use of playbacks, spishing or whatever methods people
are using to get the attraction of birds just because they want to see them
better and get an id on them.

Think of it as how you would feel when someone comes to your neighborhood and
screams their heads off or spishes continuously in front of your window, wont
you get annoyed? May be you will come out with a gun to shoot the nuisance
maker.  So I don't agree with the justification that we are stressing them for
a short time only.  Stress is stress.
So all that is needed is educating themselves why one should do something or
not do something.

Cheers
Meena
PS: I did not want to get into this discussion, well, but now I am deep into it!