From: Carl Steckler
Date: 4/17/2012 2:47:28 PM
To: Cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] George Road Pond

On 4/17/2012 9:04 AM, Candace Cornell wrote:
I have not heard if anyone has talked to the Town of Dryden regarding the
George Rd. Pond. I meant to send this note a few weeks ago, but travelling
(birding) elsewhere. I have worked for wetland preservation for many years
and would like to offer some ideas on this subject.

I did talk to Mary Ann Summner, the Town of Dryden Supervisor on Friday
April 13th.  The action that resulted in the draining of George Rd. pond was
taken because the blocked culvert and accompanying backup was threatening
the bank of Virgil Creek. The creek is a protected Trout stream and the Town
was more or less forced to take the action they did. The William George
Agency , the owner of the pasture, has been asking the town to fix the
problem since it first occurred and has no plans to keep the pond permenent.

The area does not qualify as a wetland as DEC definitions require a minimum
of 12.7 acres. So as it stands it will revert to a seasonal pond during the
rainy season and be a dry pasture the rest of the time.

I also talked to the CEO of the William George Agency and he  said that the
agency was happy that the problem had been solved and they had no plans
other than using the land for pasture.

I then talked to DEC and they informed me that the Town Of Dryden committed
no violation in fixing the threat to Virgle Creek and the resulting draining
of Grorge Rd. pond.

Unless someone has some pull with WGA it looks like it will be but a fond
memory.

On another note, The Town of Dryden is planning a recreational park  to the
North of the Town Hall and would welcome our input. I will have some more
information at the next CBC meeting. Linda?
Carl Steckler

"For those who fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never
know"
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave