After returning from the Savannah Mucklands area this morning, I birded the
Hawthorn Orchard on East Hill in Ithaca (located between Pine Tree Road,
Mitchell Street, and the East Ithaca Recreation Way) from about 9:45 to
11:00am. It was fairly quiet, in part due to the cold, windy, damp conditions.
I was extremely surprised to see that many of the hawthorn trees (Crataegus
sp.) were in bloom. This could make for an interesting spring, because they
usually don't bloom until mid-May.

Bird-wise, I heard/saw the following:

19 Yellow-rumped Warblers (6 in NE corner, 12 in SW corner, 1 in SE corner)
1 Palm Warbler (heard singing and moving rapidly along East edge)
1 Blue-headed Vireo (NE corner)
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
~15 White-throated Sparrows
2 Brown Thrashers (male and female, along gravel pathway that leads from the
East Ithaca Recreation Way up to the southern rugby playing field)
1 Field Sparrow (flyover, flight notes)

Heard an unidentified very rich, sweet-sounding, call note a few times that was
very reminiscent of Hooded Warbler, but just couldn't locate the bird producing
the sound. This was along the North slope that leads down into the ravine area
from the NE corner.

Good birding!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes
TARU Product Line Manager and Field Applications Engineer