This morning, my short walk with my son from Simsbury Drive to Northeast
Elementary School revealed more migrants than I've ever found before in
hundreds of trips along this route.  I had no optics (stupid of me), but I
heard a CAPE MAY WARBLER, a few BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS, a BLACK-THROATED
GREEN WARBLER, a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, and a NORTHERN PARULA, plus an
AMERICAN REDSTART in our yard (probably a first for us).  My son and I also
saw a singing SCARLET TANAGER in a lone tall tree in a lucky person's yard.

Yesterday after the rains in Sapsucker Woods, I walked around a bit and
found two SWAINSON'S THRUSHES (East Trail and Wilson/West intersection),
eleven warbler species, and the BARRED OWL (south of map stand at T
intersection of Wilson and Severinghaus Trails, directly south of Podell
Boardwalk).  I saw a Red-tailed Hawk flying high through the canopy,
carrying what appeared to be a writhing muskrat.  Imagine the terror for a
creature that had previously known only wet earth, still water, and
concealing cattails...

I also had a two-second view of a gigantic first-year accipiter, brightly
spangled above and heavily streaked below, barreling through the treetops.
I didn't pick up any definitive field marks, and recognizing my past history
of mistakes, I don't want to venture anything close to a conclusive ID.  But
I still have a strong sense that it was too different-looking and especially
much too big to be a Cooper's Hawk.

Mark Chao