Thanks ! I struggle with this bird because I don't know them well and I didn't
know the song is so variable.

Gary

On May 16, 2012, at 10:46 PM, "Matthew Medler"
<matthewmed...@yahoo.com<mailto:matthewmed...@yahoo.com>> wrote:

Hi Dave and All,

If you're interested in listening to more recordings of Yellow-throated Warbler
to see how much variation there is, there are 40+ recordings available for
listening on the Cornell Lab's Macaulay Library web site:

http://macaulaylibrary.org/search?location_id=&location_type_id=&location=&recordist=&recordist_id=&catalogs=&behavior=&behavior_id=&tab=audio-list&taxon_id=12000480&taxon_rank_id=67&taxon=yellow+throated+warbler

Enjoy,
Matt Medler
Ithaca

________________________________
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com<mailto:nutter.d...@me.com>>
To: Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com<mailto:nutter.d...@me.com>>
Cc: cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu<mailto:cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 10:41 PM
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Yellow-throated Warbler song question

I listened to the YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER for awhile this morning singing from
the Sycamore grove along Pier Road, and I saw it as well to confirm. It sounded
a bit different than yesterday. I don't know if that was due to the environment
or proximity or the bird's enthusiasm at different times of day or something
about my own mental state. Anyway it sounded more like:

tu  tu  tu  TEE-TU  TEE-TU  TEE-TU  TEE-TU  TEE-Tu  tyu

The sound is not the rich slurred notes of a Baltimore Oriole, but instead
higher and thinner and thus more obviously a warbler. It varied between 4 and 7
of the TEE-TU pairs of notes. The quieter introductory and final notes were
sometimes hard to hear among the many other singers in the area, but the TEE-TU
notes cut through loud & clear.  The ending was also a bit variable, but I
never heard it give a rising final note like the birds I've heard in New Jersey.

--Dave Nutter

On May 15, 2012, at 10:53 PM, Dave Nutter