  From: M Kardon
  To: Cayuga Bird List Cayuga Bird List
  Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:09 PM
  Subject: [cayugabirds-l] witnessed bird drama

  Yesterday morning I heard the thump of a bird strike on the dining room
window (the only one without a spider web decal on it, so maybe they work). I
walked over to check for a downed bird, arriving within 10-15 seconds of the
thump, and saw two Baltimore orioles on the grass just under the windows, one
with its wings partially out and face down, the other standing right next to
it.  Within a second or two of my arrival at the window, the standing bird
pecked the other bird on the neck, and the downed bird jerked and brought its
head up, but then slumped again.  The standing bird then called hoarsely, then
immediately pecked the other bird even harder on the neck.  This time it jerked
again, then, within a second or two, both birds flew off into the woods
together.  I've never seen one bird help another in this way.  It happened so
quickly and was so surprising that I forgot to notice whether they were males
or females or one of each.  Marsha Kardon