Hi all,

I was working in the garden, when I heard call of a insistent mourning warbler
several times in the morning from across the street in front of my house. My
house is just 500 ft from Six Miles creek preserve and perfect habitat for
Mourning warblers.

I also heard, redstart, Common yellowthroat and Yellow Warblers.

Sneaky House Wrens are feeding their young, and they sneak into thickets and
overgrown busy area to find something or the other and, I see them carrying
juicy caterpillars. that means I will have fewer moths:-( . Talking about
moths, yesterday night I had Polyphemus moth, Oak Beauty, Acronitum americanum
etc. Not a whole lot though, about 25 species including smaller ones.. Some of
the moths, Hickory Tussock Moth, Isabella Tiger and two geometrids have become
morning breakfast for some of the birds in my yard.

There are two pairs of catbirds using my yard as their borders. It is fun to
watch them puff themselves up and sing. Occasionally they would be very close
to each other and flexing their muscles. My main yard catbird, that is one who
is nesting a multiflora rose I think, is not very tolerant of his neighboring
House Wrens. House wren gets chased off by the catbird.  but smart House wrens
just dive into thickets and become invisible.

Not many odes ion my yard yet. But hoping that will be soon remedied. Only
butterflies I saw in the morning were a Silver Spotted Checkerspot, Cabbage
White and a Hobmok Skipper. Cabbage white was looking to oviposit.

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850
http://haribal.org/