Fun to see.  Because ducks don’t feed their chicks, it costs a mother nothing
to take on the young of other females.  And, the probability of a predator
taking one of her young from the crèche goes down.

Kevin

From: bounce-61078452-3493...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-61078452-3493...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Donna Scott
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 8:34 PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Merganzer w/ 30 ducklings

Today, a female COMMON MERGANZER swam by my beach on Lansing Station Rd,
Lansing, with 30 ducklings!
The ducklings were fairly large, about 2/3 the size of the mother, but still
with downy feathers and "baby markings".

The mother was leading them all to various shallow areas along the shore and
they were all diving and fishing.
When one would surface with a small fish in its mouth, some of the others would
chase after it trying to get the fish away from the lucky fisher. They ran
across the water.

Wondering how these Merganzers end up with so many ducklings in tow, I checked
Birds of North America (BNA) for more info.
This is not the first time I have seen a female with many babies, but this was
the most I ever saw! Info in BNA defines the large number of ducklings I saw as
"Brood Amalgamation".

From BNA:
Brood Parasitism
Identity Of The Parasitic Species

Both intraspecific parasitism (also called egg-dumping) and interspecific
parasitism occur in natural cavities and artificial nest sites. In North
America, Common Mergansers parasitize and may be parasitized by Common
Goldeneye and Hooded Merganser (Zicus and Hennes
1988<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib186>,
 MLM). Parasitism with Buffleheads and Wood Ducks not reported.

Frequency Of Occurrence

Occurs frequently in both North American and European populations, particularly
where nest boxes are available (Bellrose
1980<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib012>,
 Eriksson and Niittylä
1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib042>).
 Frequencies are difficult to determine since eggs of conspecifics are similar;
different criteria may provide variable estimates. Eriksson and Niittylä
(1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib042>)
 considered any nests with ≥14 eggs as parasitized; using this criterion, about
20% of the nests in their study area in Finland were parasitized by
conspecifics (likely an underestimate).

Maximum reported clutch size (parasitized nests) was 19 in 75 Ontario clutches
(Peck and James
1983<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib136>)
 and 18 in Finland (Eriksson and Niittylä
1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib042>).

Timing Of Laying In Relation To Host’s Laying

Early nests tend to be more parasitized than late nests (MLM). No information
of daily egg-laying times.

Response To Parasitic Mother, Eggs, Or Nestlings

Host females do not defend their nests against parasites; antiparasite defenses
probably consist primarily of nest desertion when clutch sizes are large, as in
other members of the waterfowl tribe Mergini. In nest, host female incubates
parasitic eggs.

Effects Of Parasitism On Host

No deleterious effects reported.

Success Of Parasite With This Host

Absence of reports of parasitic egg recognition and rejection or common clutch
desertion suggests parasitism is a successful strategy, although conclusive
studies lacking.

Brood Amalgamation (Creche Formation)

Mixed broods of >40 young observed in ne. Ontario (MLM). Although this behavior
is well-known for Common Mergansers, few definitive studies (Eadie et al.
1988<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib041>).
 Amalgamation not common when ducklings <7 d old, but occurs frequently after
that (Dement’ev et al.
1952<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib038>,
 Palmer
1976<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib135>).
 Some authors suggest aggressive females “kidnap” young from less aggressive
females (Speirs
1985<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/442/articles/species/442/biblio/bib162>);
 no study has documented this, and it may simply represent confused young
joining incorrect mother (A. Erskine pers. comm.).
--Donna Scott

Donna L. Scott
535 Lansing Station Road
Lansing, NY 14882