I apologize for my empty-headed failure to let this list-serve, with its
many connections to activities at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge,
know about the following a couple days ago. I only learned about it at
the end of last week.

The NYSOA Conservation Committee very recently became aware of a 15-year
Comprehensive Conservation Plan for Montezuma NWR. The Plan has some
good points including more trails. It would, however, decrease grassland
and shrubland habitat management by about 400 acres with a corresponding
increase in forest cover area. These changes would decrease habitat for
several of the rarer species on the Refuge, which use
grassland-shrubland habitat, by 35% while increasing forest cover by
about 12%, and greatly expand hunting for Canada Geese and Snow Geese,
and allow Sunday deer hunting, and start Wild Turkey hunting. One goal
of the CCP goal is to increase the number of waterfowl hunters from 355
last year to 1000, despite a series of years with generally declining
number of waterfowl hunters. The Plan hopes that more hunting
opportunities will lead to a major decrease in Canada Geese and in Snow
Geese in New York.
  A link to the full proposal is at
<http://www.fws.gov/northeast/planning/Montezuma/ccpchapters.html> Much
of the proposal is condensed in Chapter 3.

Unfortunatley, the deadline for public comment was 21 June, although the
reviewers for the US FWS have said that they would keep the reviews open
for a "few days" after the deadline. Comments can be submitted via email to

northeastplann...@fws.gov <mailto:northeastplann...@fws.gov> (please put
"Montezuma NWR" in the subject line)

John Confer