Late this morning I visited the Von Engeln preserve in Malloryville for the
first time. Neat place. While standing at the kiosk a question mark butterfly
landed on my fingertip and fed for a good two minutes. A good omen, I thought.
Alas my two hands were clasped together at the time, and when I tried I
clasping them to reach for my camera it left.

In the woods I heard what sounded somewhat like a fish crow, but found instead
a stubby-tailed fledgling american crow reluctant to leave its perch on my
approach and eventually endured a clumsy short flight to the next branch,
falling upside down and struggling against the thickets for a while before
righting itself.

At the bog blueberries are ripening; two waxwings hung out on a snag with a
scraggly yellowthroat who seemed to be trying unsuccessfully to shoo off these
bigger intruders.

Back around to the intersection in the swamp a loud persistent chip like a
cardinal's comes from the forest floor then goes silent. Eventually I find
sitting still and now quiet a chick of some sort. I am able to approach quite
close for photos, but when I approach one step too far, it runs off in a panic
chipping away loudly, at which point two adult ovenbirds fly in to effect
various distractive maneuvers - one holding it's wings half down-folded as if
injured, another flitting about then seemingly being chased by the first.
Interesting behaviors to observe, but I walk away to let them recover their
composure.

Back at the parking lot an indigo bunting's song rings loud; I find the bird in
a low branch of a tree, conspicuous as ever, before it flies across the field.

Suan