Yesterday (Sunday) morning, after the morning bird walk at the lab, I
drove up Tehan Road and walked down Signal Hollow Road on the edge of
Yellow Barn State Forest to just past the pond and back. The power cut
had a singing indigo bunting (up high, not seen) and a chestnut-sided
warbler heard then seen. The walk started rather unremarkably, with
ovenbirds and veeries and revireos and sapsuckers and other common
breeders. At one point I "flushed" a silent ovenbird foraging on the
ground near the road -- which ran away rather than flew while holding
a nice juicy grub in its bill. Then a quiet chick-burring revealed a
male scarlet tanager foraging low enough for pretty good photos
(modulo the canopy darkness), with a female hanging around nearby
accompanied - it seemed - by an entourage of red-eyed vireos. I passed
zones serenaded by black-throated blue (haven't heard that for a
while), black-throated green, hermit thrush, and blackburnian "second
song" (like a black-and-white warbler, but with a chattery suffix). At
the pond an adult cooper's hawk flew to a snag, but wouldn't hold for
a photo before taking flight again. Many small frogs leapt into the
puddles as I passed. A raven (or ravens) cronked from not too far
away.

At one point I heard what I thought was a double-veery, but when I
reviewed the iPhone recording I made it sounded too high:

 http://suan-yong.com/sound/yellow-barn-mystery.wav

Anyone know what this is? After repeating the double-call often it
switched to a single call a few times (possibly coincident with my
approaching a little closer). Seemed a little richer than a titmouse.

Returning to the road, when I thought I would try to visually find one
of those loud teachering ovenbirds, a flash above turned into a
yellow-billed cuckoo, silent and poised a little nervously but quite
close, allowing me only one over-exposed shot before it jumped a few
branches into invisibility, cuckled a few syllables, then flew away as
I shuffled about seeking a vantage.

Yet another fun exploration of one of our many local natural areas
during a time of day and year when things supposedly go quiet.

Suan