Today was my first opportunity to look for the DICKCISSEL and it was singing
from right where it was supposed to be atop the large spreading oak tree at
Seneca Meadows.

My next stop was Montezuma NWR and Puddler's Marsh to look through the
shorebirds that have been reported from this location. I was disappointed to
find very few shorebirds here. There were a few each GREATER and LESSER
YELLOWLEGS, several SPOTTED and LEAST SANDPIPERS, a number of KILLDEER, and
3 distant SHORT BILLED DOWITCHERS. The large congregation of CASPIAN TERNS
continues. On Knox-Marsellus was a single GREAT EGRET.

The marsh at the end of VanDyne Spoor Road was very active, but a single
distant AMERICAN BITTERN flying over across the back edge of the marsh and a
few BLACK TERNS were the only noteworthy species seen. There were also a
several BLACK TERNS seen on Tschache Pool.

Also seen today was a GRASSHOPPER SPARROW along Armitage Road. Heading west
from route 89, this bird was between Olmstead Road and the barn a short
distance to the west. The bird was singing (buzzing) away from a power line
on the north side of the road.

Lastly, I have seen few reports of SANDHILL CRANE this year from anywhere on
the Montezuma Wetlands Complex. As such, I was surprised to find two birds
along Lay Road on my way home. Lay Road is the east-west road between route
89 and Gravel Road just south of the South Spring Pool parking area and
trail. These birds were in a field on the south side of the road between
East Tyre Road and Gravel Road.

Gary Chapin
Victor, NY