NYbirders,
The Curlew Sandpiper remained on the mudflats at Knox-Marcellus Marsh,
Montezuma NWR (Seneca Co.) well after sunset this evening.  To help those
who might search for the bird tomorrow, the bird was feeding on the mud at
these GPS coordinates:  43.005338,-76.756024 (copy/ paste to Google Maps
for an easy visualization).  Chris and I were scoping from East Rd. at
about this spot:  43.007629,-76.758435.  The Curlew Sandpiper is a
moderately bright male with mostly peach and white underparts and a deep,
brick red patch on the chest; the undertail/ vent area is clean white.  The
bird was associating with Semipalmated Sandpipers; in comparisons with
other shorebirds, the Curlew Sandpiper was about the size of nearby female
Pectoral Sandpipers (the small Pecs).  Evening light was rather nice; I
suspect that it will be tough to view from East Rd. in the morning; distant
scoping from Towpath Rd. might be fruitful, though.  I uploaded a grainy,
digiscoped-after-sunset photo here:  www.flickr.com/bonxie88
To give a sense of the other birds present, here's a link to our eBird
checklist from the evening:
Good luck,
Tom

--