In my yard this morning after the heaviest rain ended, there was a flurry of activity. The highlight was two male Scarlet Tanagers and a juvenile being fed by one of the males, Other birds included Baltimore Oriole, Northern Flicker, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, American Robins, American Goldfinches, a bunch of Red-eyed Vireos, and more things I didn't know were there until all the birds suddenly flushed and flew off. I couldn't find what flushed them.

This afternoon on the rail trail in Dryden from East Lake Rd to the lake, we found 3 Green Herons foraging in the open, 2 kingfishers, two female/juvenile Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Song Sparrows, and a large group of Cedar Waxwings flycatching. (There have been Green Herons foraging in the open on the pond in Sapsucker Woods this week too.) The lake itself, viewed from the south end, only held a group of Canada Geese. The water level of the little pool across the trail from the lake was too high for shorebirds.

On Schutt Rd., a Common Raven flew up from a farm field.

In the wetland along Rt. 38 between Keith Lane and the center of Dryden, we saw three Wood Ducks on a log. I was hoping the water level here might be low enough for shorebirds, but it's not.

Anne Marie Johnson
Caroline