Carl makes some good points here
<Personally I think it would be a lot more effective for us to just go
around to all of the fishing sites we can  and remove any line we find.
Even making it a point that we make the extra effort when we are birding
to watch for things like this and take action on the spot. With as many
of us who go out regularly it would only take a little more effort on
out part to seek out and remove these hazards as we bird. >

Certainly we could clean up as we go. But, unless I'm mistaken, the most
egregious line is that which is inaccessibly high and snagged on branches,
which is why it is cut and abandoned in the first place. To remove that would
probably require more effort and more tools that most of us carry around
birding with us.

I am totally ignorant about fishing...so a question to those who know, is there
a better way for an angler to deal with snagged line than to cut and leave it?
Of course the obvious answer is to make more of an effort to reach it and
untangle. I am not trying to set anyone up, simply wanting more information. It
strikes me that we should be tackling the problem at its outset, not merely
cleaning up afterwards.

Marie

Marie Read Wildlife Photography
452 Ringwood Road
Freeville NY  13068 USA

Phone  607-539-6608
e-mail   m...@cornell.edu

http://www.marieread.com

***NEW***  Music of the Birds Vol 1 ebook for Apple iPad now available from
iTunes

http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/music-of-the-birds-v1/id529347014?mt=11