We hope to see you at this week's Monday Night Seminar at the Cornell Lab of
Ornithology!

Monday, October 1, 2012
7:30 p.m. in the Cornell Lab of Ornithology Auditorium

Go Birding, Save the World: Large-Scale Lessons from Citizen Science
Allen Hurlbert, Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, University of North
Carolina
Have you ever run a Breeding Bird Survey route? Uploaded a checklist to eBird?
Participated in a Christmas Bird Count? Then you can take credit for increasing
our scientific understanding of avian ecology and the conservation threats
birds face. Allen Hurlbert, assistant professor at the University of North
Carolina, will discuss three examples of how these types of citizen-science
efforts have provided important insights into geographic patterns of diversity
and migration timing, insights that would otherwise have been nearly impossible
to achieve. Dr. Hurlbert will also comment on how to maximize the utility of
your birding checklists for future scientific endeavors.

---------
Charles Eldermire
Bird Cams Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology