Hi all,

Today’s northwesterly winds produced the first notable push of Common Loons
over Cayuga Lake. In total, Bill Evans and I counted 415 flying south and 25
north from the loon watch location at Taughannock. The first wave (birds
lifting off Cayuga Lake further north) was considerably smaller than the second
wave (birds from Lake Ontario), with the second wave accountable for roughly
75% of the total. There was also a respectable push of raptors.

This weekend should still produce decent numbers as the winds continue from a
northwesterly direction, but we expect fewer than today as there was probably a
buildup of loons waiting for the winds to clock north and it’s also a bit early
in the season.

Feel free to join the loon watch whenever you have free time. I will be there
every day through mid-December.

Ethan