From: Meena Haribal
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:07 AM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: Wild Snow Geese chase

Hi all,

Yesterday evening i wanted to try a new (actually an old) lens, so I went out
to try on some geese.  Myer's point all I could see was a pair of Northern
Flickers, that flew away at my approach and nothing much else.

At Long Point State park I saw mostly white caps on the water and a few Black
ducks and Mallards.

>From the bluffs on Long Point State Park road, a few thousand Canada Geese at
>the mouth of the creek in the bay, but I did not pick out anything different.
>I skipped Aurora boat club as it was very windy and parking lot was full.

At Factory St pond in Union Springs no birds. Main pond had a few Redheads,
Gadwalls, Buffleheads.

I continued planning to go up to Mucklands to look for Snow Geese. But as I
approached Connors Road past Levenna, I saw hundreds of Snow Geese heading
east. So I decided to turn on Connors road and follow them. They were flying at
40 mph as I followed them in parallel couple of miles, after some distance I
changed my direction as the road turned and twisted. I drove many roads such as
Rt 326, Large Road, Bluefield Road, Powers road etc and I could see them still
heading mostly east and southeast and at some point they disappeared. I never
saw them come down to a field.  But then when I looked at the fields, most of
the fields were barren or had grass and no corn fields. May be the geese also
were looking for a suitable field to feed. So probably  they continued  to
Owasco and Skaneateles lake watershed.  The distance they travelled from the
Cayuga lake to east was more than 6 miles as crow flies. Last spring I had
followed them for more than 11 miles west till I could find them no more.

It was awesome to watch hundreds of them fly overhead, making me feel dizzy as
if I am watching a fast flowing turbulent river like Alaknanda  overhead as
they continuously grouped and regrouped while honking.

On the way back I came via Rafferty road. The grassland was cleared and lots of
machinery parked in the field. I don't think any self respecting Short-eared
Owl would want to spend the some time here on the way south.

Cheers

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850