Hi Folks,

     Is there anyone else who loves freezing cold temperatures who would
like to find owls while body metabolism is at its diurnal low???

     As I have done for half a century, I'm planning to go out owling in
the wee hours of an Audubon Christmas Count on Jan 1 (body and soul
willing at 2:00 AM). Misery loves company. Further, I am going to go out
on a planning trip prior to the CBC (date to be determined but soon) and
would love company for that, too.

     Over the years, my route has adapted to plans of others.
Tentatively I am going to do Midline Rd to Irish Settlement Rd to
northern Hammond Hill to Star Stanton, Rt 79 near Slaterville/Caroline
School, Genung Rd at Fall Creek, Ellis Hollow Creek from Genung to Pine
Tree, and Game Farm Rd at the recreational trail. If anyone thought they
might do part of this, please call so we can coordinate details. (W)
274-3978, (H) 539-6308

     After record numbers of migrating saw-whet owls were caught by
banders in this region, there may be more than normal of the littlest
eastern owl that stopped their migration in our area. It might be
profitable to try saw-whet calls more than normal.

Sandy, Fitz, and Bob, I will stay away from the areas you do. I won't
have time to do it, but Spring House Rd at Fall Creek and Rt 38 as it
crosses Fall Creek just north of the Jim Schug Trail have been reliable
Screech sites for me.

Cheers,

John Confer