Hi all,

Finally, I broke down of not driving that far and decided to go look for
Townsend Solitaire and snow geese, which I am obsessed by their sheer numbers.
When I arrived Wes and Debbie were looking for it and Wes told me that it was
seen just 10 min before he arrived. So we spent some time looking at other
things such as Cedar waxwings taking drink from the stream after eating lots of
Hawthorne berries.  We were about 500 m south from the "green gate". Finally,
as we were started walking towards the gate, I spotted a grey bird on top of
leafless tree. But before we could get a closer look it flew away. May be
fifteen minutes later or so I spotted it in a far away tree through the cedar
branches. With Kevin's scope we confirmed it. Then later it landed very close
to us. We could get some pictures enough for identification of the bird. There
were several other people while we were there.

After this I went north to look for snow geese, near junction of 336 on the
west side of the road were some 1000 geese feeding in the corn field, but far
away from the road. Many more were coming down from the sky from Seneca Lake.
I also watched two tom Turkeys cross the road and get stopped by the army depot
fence. I pulled aside and watched. They were panicky when the cars from both
directions came zooming down the highway. They would go north if the car came
from south and vice versa. Finally, when there was a lull in traffic, they took
off over the fence.

I drove along back roads between 96A and 96 with no signs of snow geese. But I
did come across a huge flock of several hundred Starlings with 1/3 beautifully
plumaged shining Brown-headed Cowbirds and a few Red-winged blackbirds mixed
in. When they took off they made a huge swooshing sound and murmurs.
Unfortunately, they left the sides of the road and landed far away in the
field. A medium sized flock of Horned lark flew overhead.

At Cayuga SP, there were several hundred Tundra swans, many Redheads, Black
ducks, Gadwalls and Canada Geese. It is always fun to watch arguments between
family groups of Tundra Swans for coming too close to each other. I am not sure
if they are greeting the new comers or scolding them to be off.  At least body
language seems to suggest that they are threatening.

In Varick, I came across the flocks of Snow Geese and more joining and seemed
like they were coming from the east side of the lake.  But as usual they were
in the middle of the lake. Somewhere in Varick, I also heard and saw a flock of
Redpolls, sitting on top of tree. All I could get was a glimpse of them through
the binoculars before they took off.

Lastly, I stopped at Center Road and Rockriver road in Ovid and spent 45
minutes. I did not see any Short-eared Owls.

Finally, as I was approaching about a mile north of Taughannock Falls, I
watched a deer come from the left in front of my car. I braked hard, but I
still hit deer at the passenger corner, and it jumped into a ditch and splashed
the car with mud. Impact seemed much slower because I had braked, but still it
broke my fender and I am not sure what I broke of it. It seemed to have
scrambled into the bushes, when I looked for it.  I hope it survives, I feel
sad :-(

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850