Mockingbird in a yew hedge at 971 E State/MLK Jr St at 8:15 this a.m.

Michael Engle
via iPod

On Dec 25, 2012, at 12:17 PM, "Donna Scott"
<d...@cornell.edu<mailto:d...@cornell.edu>> wrote:

There are Mockingbirds on both Sweazey and Algerine Roads, near here, just
above the lake shore. This is definitely a slightly warmer micro-climate here
above the lake. Often when it is raining here, it is snowing a mile up the hill
on Rt. 34B.
Donna Scott
----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:nutter.d...@me.com> nutter.d...@me.com<mailto:nutter.d...@me.com>
To: <mailto:cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu<mailto:cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 10:16 AM
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] mockingbirds in winter

On Sunday there were 2 Northern Mockingbirds together in Staghorn Sumac and
another small fruiting weed-tree I don't know by name along the edge of Cayuga
Inlet in Cass Park. What surprised me was that there were 2 of them close
together, and they seemed amicable during the moments I saw them. I've often
found Northern Mockingbirds solo in fall & winter inhabiting a thicket full of
vines, bushes, and trees with fruit. I've seen them try to oust flocks of
European Starlings eating their food supply, and I'm sure other birds provoke
territorial defense as well, although mostly these quiet gray birds are pretty
inconspicuous in winter. I've seen this mostly in Ithaca, where I spend most of
my time, but also on the higher part of East Shore drive. I wonder if wintering
Northern Mockingbirds around here are associated with low elevation and warmer
microclimates, and I wonder if there are places with Northern Mockingbirds in
summer where they are not found in winter.

--Dave Nutter

On Dec 25, 2012, at 01:10 AM, Tobias Dean