Of course, there were Mourning Doves, too - I forgot to write there are about
20 or more here.
Donna
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Donna Scott
  To: Cayuga Bird Club listserv
  Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 10:52 AM
  Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Mob Scene

  Seasons blessings flew in by the dozens, as a huge, mixed flock of Amer.
Goldfinches, Pine Siskins, and Common Redpolls converged on the piles of seeds
I put out all along the deck rail, on the ground, and in hanging feeders! I
think there are almost 200 of them and the way they zoom around, it is pretty
hard to sort out the 3 species and count them. It seems like around 60 or more
of each. I did estimate 140 just on the deck a couple times.

  They were all here the whole day before the snow storm; do they know a storm
is coming and that they need to eat a lot? The morning after the big snow, as I
was spreading the seeds on the ground in the front yard, I was able to walk
quite near an obviously cold, rather weak Redpoll chewing seed on the ground.
It seemed more interested in its morning meal than getting away from the big,
hairless primate that suddenly loomed nearby.

  Of course, there are many other feeding birds: Many Cardinals, Juncos, Blue
Jays, House Finches, House Sparrows, Chickadees, Tufted Titmouse, White
Breasted Nuthatches, Downys, Red Bellys, and a Hairy Woodpecker, along with the
continuing lone C. Grackle, and at least one each of Red Breasted Nuthatch and
Amer. Tree Sparrow, along with the usual 5 Crows (one guarding in a tree
overhead, while the others eat on the ground).
  Canada Geese galore ply the lake water, while a Pileated Woodpecker calls in
the distance, but often is foraging in the trees along the lake cliff right in
my back yard. At least 2 Red Tailed Hawks grace the sky and I know the flock of
Wild Turkeys are up the hill somewhere in the woods or in a farm field.

  Have heard a Great Horned Owl hooting in the far distance to the SE at night.
Sweazey Screechie is hiding, maybe keeping warm in the "basement" of his tree
hole.

  Time to drive to Agway to replenish the bird seed!
  Good birding to you all and see you at the O Lab on Jan. 1, 2013 after we all
count birds.

  Donna Scott
  Lansing Station Road
  Lansing, NY