On Sunday afternoon along the Lansing Center Trail, six curious snowmobilers
and I witnessed a spectacular show by a dark-morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK.  For
more than 45 minutes, we watched this bird kiting, hovering, and
occasionally perching with improbable equipoise on tiny treetop twigs.  A
couple of times, the Rough-legged Hawk, upon hearing the cry of a Red-tailed
Hawk nearby, turned its head and glanced over in mid-hover, momentarily
revealing the stunning contrast of yellow cere, black head and bill, and
pearly gray sky.  Then in an instant, the Rough-legged Hawk resumed the
search for prey on the ground as if its attention had never been broken.

It was probably my most gratifying encounter ever with this species.  I feel
I gained insight about why people commonly note the exquisite beauty of
dark-morph Rough-legged Hawks, but don't give nearly such recognition to
Turkey Vultures.  I think the difference lies mostly with proportion,
balance, and grace of movement, and to a lesser extent, color and details of
pattern, especially the framing effect of dark-tipped flight feathers.  It
occurred to me that similarly subtle criteria may apply to prevailing
aesthetic standards for cars, as most arbiters of taste would favor a
charcoal-black Porsche over a dark-brown Ford Granada.

And as if the hawk alone weren't enough, I also saw an adult NORTHERN SHRIKE
speeding between hedgerows and perching up for a long time at pretty close
range.  My shrike sighting was about half a mile northeast of Cayuga Vista
Road, where at 4:45 PM I found no shrike but did see a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD
bullying an AMERICAN ROBIN, a species arguably rarer than shrikes so far in
2013 in Lansing.  (By the way, on Saturday I did see an adult shrike just
north of the intersection of Scofield Road and Route 34B, near the bank of
mailboxes for the apartment complex.  Thanks, Stuart!)

As Jay McGowan mentioned a couple of times this fall, the Lansing Center
Trail is actually a network of paths along hedgerows and open weedy fields.
It is accessible via a well-marked parking area along Route 34/34B, just
west of the intersection with North Triphammer Road.

Mark Chao