The best bird of 2012 for me was not the most beautiful (Painted Bunting,
Florida) or most longed-for bird (Burrowing Owl, also Florida). It was the one
that made itself available for close and repeated observations: the Eastern
Screech-owl. During the summer, we hosted a family of 2 parents and 3
fledglings which hunted right outside our window for weeks- amazing! The first
bird I saw on my birthday? A screech-owl. What bird kept me company while my
fiancé was away for many weeks of Sandy relief? A screech-owl. There surely can
be no doubt that 2012 was, for me, the Year of the Screech-owl, and it didn't
even require any travel.

A close second was seeing the Osprey return to and successfully nest at their
restored home on Portland Point Road. It was great to see them back and raising
a family after their former nest burned down.

The best birds always have stories around them, don't they? May 2013 be full of
stories for us all.

Robyn Bailey
Lansing