The birds around our place were quite vocal this morning. Two cardinals were doing a little dueling, and the house finches were singing, as well as a titmouse. If this portends an earlier spring, please let it be a very gradual warm up. We certainly don't want a repeat of the unusually warm weather of last March, which resulted in devastation of the apple and cherry crops from the very cold nights that occurred after the trees had blossomed.

On another note, in response to Bill McAneny's query about junco numbers, we have had 20+ all winter, and on occasion have topped 30. We always have good numbers of juncos, but this year has been higher than normal. We use to "salt" the yard with mixed seed, but this year at our son's suggestion we switched to white millet. Before this, every time we would throw out mixed seed the deer would come along and lap up most of it. They don't have much success gleaning the tiny white millet seed, thus leaving most for the juncos and other ground-feeding species.

Larry

--

W. Larry Hymes