When I first read the subject line, I thought it was reporting the absence of a shrike: no shrike. Then I realized that it was an abbreviation for Northern Shrike. I often think it's worth the small extra effort to write the whole name of any bird in order to be clear, and I celebrate the very long names. I guess I'm on the compulsive end of the spectrum that way, maybe because I imagine so many ways to misinterpret other people (and I succeed quite a bit).

I am not writing simply out of amusement or to harass Donna, I am also belatedly (for which everyone is welcome to ridicule me) reporting that I saw presumably the same bird, a Northern Shrike, atop a sapling beyond a brushy area north of Snyder Road and the airport on Sunday afternoon, 10 February. Of course I wonder if this is the same bird I found due east of the end of Cherry Road, a slightly different vantage into the same expanse of habitat, back on 4 January.
--Dave Nutter