Don’t know if owls and crows really think like this, but it would be a shame if
they didn’t!!  Dave, you should write a book.

Jody Enck

From: nutter.d...@me.com
Sent: ‎February‎ ‎16‎, ‎2013 ‎12‎:‎21‎ ‎PM
To: CAYUGABIRDS-L
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Crows mobbing Great Horned Owl on nest

I think this is the sort of crap that Great Horned Owls have to put up with,
and they get used to it. I suspect that what you saw is probably the pattern.
Every day some crow "discovers" the owl, still in the same place on its nest,
and raises the alarm, just as it would for an owl roosting in a new spot every
day. All the other crows join in for awhile, so the whole crow community is
aware of its presence, and the younger crows learn, "We don't like these guys."
When they're satisfied and bored with lack of reaction from the owl on the
nest, they move on. The owl sighs, reminds itself to eat some of those bastards
come nightfall, and continues incubating, brooding, or guarding its young.

--Dave Nutter