Having tried several times recently - and unsuccessfully - for Short- eared Owls, and having heard that a couple were sighted recently on Morgan Road, I drove north this afternoon to see what I could find. I had a good conversation with Frank Morlock at the DEC headquarters. He reported trapping two SEOWs two days before and having seen more than that in the vicinity. He mentioned that his watch usually began at 5:15, and that the first owls showed up at around 5:30.

With half an hour to kill, I drove over to Van Dyne Spoor Rd ("Sandhill Crane Unit"). I was rewarded with two SEOWs foraging over the far SW dike at 5:10. At that point I spoke with Dave Nutter who, with Ann Mitchell, was headed to Morgan Rd. Since I figured there would be good coverage there, I raced across town to try and reach Seneca Meadows before dark. I got there in plenty of time, walked out to a spot overlooking the huge north meadow, and waited. At 5:40 the first SEOW showed up and was soon joined by a second. They foraged out to the west and then the north, occasionally dropping out of sight into the vegetation for 5 minutes or so. Another SEOW came in from the south, followed by a Red-tailed Hawk. The hawk eventually perched at the edge of the far woods, and the owl continued to work back and forth until I left at around 6:10.

I spoke once more with Dave, who reported some unbelievable number of owls at Morgan Road. I look forward to reading his post!

Bob McGuire