I wasn't even sure if we'd go out at all today, but after a family
discussion weighing the possibilities, I got one taker for the proffered
"bird hard" option.  So Tilden and I headed up the lake again late on
Saturday afternoon.  Those three hours turned out to be the most satisfying
winter outing I've ever had in the Basin, and not just for the opportunity
to spend time with my rookie birding ace of a son.

The highlight above all for us was the flock of field birds that Laura
Stenzler and Ton Schat found at the dairy farm near the Triangle Diner.  We
roughly counted 180 HORNED LARKS, 30 SNOW BUNTINGS, and most remarkably, at
least five LAPLAND LONGSPURS, including two males in spectacular breeding
plumage, the first I've ever seen like this -- all very close to the road
for as long as we wished to stay and watch.  No previous bunting/longspur
experience of mine comes close.  And what a way for Tilden to see his life
Lapland Longspurs!  Thanks, Laura and Ton!!

We ended up at Morgan Road at about 5:30 PM, where we had a chance to thank
Laura and Ton in person, and also to see Michele Mannella and Mickey
Scilingo, among others.  Down by the DEC building, we all watched at least
four SHORT-EARED OWLS foraging, occasionally chasing each other, and
perching up for long views.  On the way out, we again saw two Short-eared
Owls further north along Morgan Road.  On most any other day, this would
have been the surpassing stop of the day.  Or maybe it was.  Why choose?

We noted the huge but very distant waterfowl flock at Harris Park in the
village of Cayuga, but stayed only very briefly.  But we took a long look at
the ducks assembled south of the private marina at Myers.  This flock
continues to be about as impressive as I've ever seen here, with many
GADWALLS, a few dozen NORTHERN PINTAILS, some AMERICAN WIGEONS, hundreds of
REDHEADS, a few LESSER SCAUP, and both HOODED and COMMON MERGANSERS, along
with the Mallards, Canada Geese, and coots.

Mark Chao