The Unit Management Plan (UMP) proposes forest regeneration cuts in
areas with moderate density of aspens to create habitat for shrubland
species such as field sparrows, chestnut-sided warblers, blue-winged and
golden-winged warblers, yellow warblers, etc. I have seen dozens of
other locations where the propose forest regeneration cuts do not
produce shrubland habitat. They actually produce dense thickets of
saplings, particularly because of the growth of aspens from root stalks.
If you want shrublands with herbs and shrub patches that are used by a
variety of shrubland birds, then you need some other kind of management.
I have urged the DEC to implement brush-hogging and herbicide spraying
after the clear cuts.

If anyone is interested in my 4 pages of text (already submitted) that
critiques the details of the management that is presented as if it would
enhance shrublands and shrubland birds in the two state forests, please
email me directly, and I'll be glad to forward a copy.

Cheers,John