It was a warm morning on the eastern slope of Rock Cabin Rd as we canvassed the
marsh. The Sandhill Crane pair is back and a third crane was sighted yesterday.
Anyone sighting the cranes please relay reports to us as we will be attempting
document a nesting at QCM this year.

Best viewing is from along Rock Cabin Road and there is an observation platform
very
close to the point where a gas pipeline crosses the marsh. It's a roomy but odd
mesh
sized platform so bring along some small pieces of lumber to hold your tripod's
legs
steady.

The highlight was hundreds of Wood Duck spread throughout the marsh; we stopped
counting at 150 and saw many more. Also present in good numbers were Canada
Geese,
gadwall,wigeon, blacks, mallards, shovelers, pintails, green-winged teal,
ring-neckeds and common mergs.

As the season progresses listen and look for rails and both bitterns. A Bald
Eagle
pair has been showing interest the last couple of years and will hopefully nest
nearby, if they haven't done so already. An unoccupied as yet Osprey platform is
directly across the marsh from the observation platform.

Rock Cabin is a dirt track running along the marsh from the bottom of the
Burdett
hill and just off Rte 79 before it swings around the lake and into Watkins Glen.
Access is also available off Skyline Drive in Montour Falls. It's wise to park
well
to the side of the road. A parking area is available at the Montour Falls end of
RCR; look to the left just prior to leaving pavement. Walking the area is
probably
the most effective way of birding here. A trail of sorts circumnavigates the
marsh.

J&S
--
John and Sue Gregoire