Thank you to so many who have contacted me off-list.  I conclude it wasn't
a black-billed cuckoo that I heard, as they haven't returned to our area
yet.

Many of you had suggestions of what I may have heard, including:

Screech-owl
Saw-whet owl
Chipmunk
Frogs
Wilson's snipe
Wild turkey

Out of these, I'm thinking either it was a chipmunk or maybe possibly a
saw-whet owl.  I had the feeling that the sound was coming from the trees
in the woods, which is why I feel like it could be a bird.

I'll listen again this evening with newly-enlightened ears.  Thanks,
everyone, for all your suggestions!

Marla