Thanks for the details. I had a few thoughts about your report:
1) Anyone who is still at work after 5:30, who sees something wished-for but wildly unlikely which no one else has seen and which mysteriously disappears the moment they glance away... maaaaybe that person has been working too hard.
2) Every serious birder should have a buddy on speed-dial who they can call without even looking at their phone so the buddy can report the rare bird to everyone else, while the observer continues observing until someone else arrives. I lost track of the Tufted Duck while texting, and I've heard others' similar stories.
3) The Lab needs to put a few of its high-quality cameras on the building facing out to verify some of these crazy reports, such as fly-by Little Blue Herons.
Congratulation, Ken, and I hope someone re-finds the birds (it will restore faith in your sanity).
--Dave Nutter