Despite stiff winds all day, our SFO day trip group to Montezuma NWR, led by
Bill Ostrander, saw a total of 58 species on our way around Cayuga Lake (eBird
checklists below).

We started in Stewart Park where we were treated to numerous waterfowl,
starring a NORTHERN PINTAIL, a PIED-BILLED GREBE, and our first BALD EAGLE of
the day. We also briefly spotted a YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER entering the
willows by the lake and a NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD by the boathouse.

At Myers Point, we encountered KILLDEER, COOTS, REDHEAD, and GADWALL, among
others. BUFFLEHEAD were the only waterbirds at Wells College Boathouse, but at
Union Springs Pond we were greeted by an OSPREY in addition to the usual
suspects.

We arrived at Montezuma around 10:30 AM and used the Visitor Center as a
windbreak while we viewed AMERICAN WIGEON, many GREEN- and three BLUE-WINGED
TEAL, a female NORTHERN HARRIER, and my first NORTHERN FLICKER of the year.

The Wildlife Drive gave us great looks at CANVASBACK and NORTHERN SHOVELER in
good numbers, a male HARRIER, and four wee DUNLIN. Incidental sightings by
other group members included a HORNED LARK, but Bill and I missed it because we
were too busy watching the male Harrier.

Additional species seen at Tschache Pool were TRUMPETER SWANS, a RUSTY
BLACKBIRD, and an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW. Knox-Marsellus Marsh was very windy
but we saw a small group of SNOW GEESE (including one blue goose), WILD
TURKEYS, and a single GREATER YELLOWLEGS.

More Greater yellowlegs were seen at Carncross Road, where we struggled to
remain upright in the wind but were rewarded with a KESTREL, who was also
struggling against the wind. A final stop in Sheldrake on the return to Ithaca
included just a handful of BUFFLEHEAD and one last GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL.

Did I mention that it was windy?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anikarenina/8630474695/

Andrea Wiggins
Syracuse, NY 13210