I counted 6 VESPER, 4 SAVANNAH, 3 AMERICAN TREE and 2 FIELD SPARROWS along Sapsucker Woods Road at the second bend from NYS-13. If there were any Chipping Sparrows in that flock, I missed them at noon and at 3:30pm.
However I did have CHIPPING SPARROWS and lots of DARK-EYED JUNCOS several places today, including Thornwood Road east of the double pond, Bluegrass Lane at the northeast corner of the northwest field, and Plantations among the sculptures across the street from the pond. The latter 2 locations also had FIELD SPARROWS and SONG SPARROWS mixed in. My SFO group also heard WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at the Bluegrass Lane location.
We saw a SWAMP SPARROW foraging around the edge of the swan pond at Stewart Park, obviously a migrant by its choice of location even though it was not with a flock.
The Chipping and Field Sparrows were nice year-birds for me. And there was a great opportunity to show students the "eastern Spizella Trifecta" of American Tree, Chipping, and Field Sparrows on Bluegrass Lane. And multiple Vesper Sparrows is not an everyday observation for me. But the big show was a FOX SPARROW which perched and sang for several minutes atop a tree on the brushy slope south of the Plantations pond.
--Dave Nutter