I also forgot to mention that we had great view of a VESPER SPARROW
right by where the snipe was.

________________________________
 From: david nicosia <daven1...@yahoo.com>
To: Cayugabirds- L <Cayugabirds-L@cornell.edu>
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2013 10:16 PM
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] SFO Sunday Derby Hill Group "Z"

The weather today was not ideal for a major hawk movement but the winds were
 light northerly (around 5-10 mph), and with full sun it was not that bad out
even
with temperatures in the 40s. Since the winds were fairly light northerly,
there still
was some raptor migration evident as we had several small "kettles" of
BROAD-WINGED HAWKS with as many as 4 or 5 birds per kettle. In addition,
we had a couple OSPREY, several SHARP-SHINNED HAWKS, TVs, and  few
migrant RED-TAILED HAWKS and a BALD EAGLE.

An even more impressive migration that was taking place were the swallows.
There were likely thousands of swallows, mostly TREE but a quite few BARN
mixed in with a few ROUGH-WINGED. The counter mentioned that he had
also seen BANK and CLIFF today as well. Our group didn't. But the swallows
were pretty much everywhere in swarms. We also saw many many swallows flying
low over the waters of Lake Ontario as we were watching for waterfowl and
other waterbirds. We did get on several flocks of LONG-TAILED DUCKS,
quite a few different groups of RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS (by far
the most common duck up there today). There were also DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANTS and at least one BUFFLEHEAD. Strangely, no loons today.
The usual CASPIAN TERNS were coursing around back and forth giving all
excellent views from the bluff overlooking Lake Ontario.

The "snipe" spot near Derby had several snipe but there was one right by the
edge of the road giving all of us excellent views. I snapped a few photos...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davenicosia/8670277892/in/set-72157633299697236/

We then headed to the northern Montezuma wetlands complex but we did not have
much time so we hit Carncross Road only hoping for a few shorebirds in the
flooded fields.
We did get several GREATER YELLOWLEGS and  few LESSER YELLOWLEGS.
There were also more WILSON'S SNIPE as well. The lighting was poor from
Carncross.
We also had 4 CASPIAN TERNS too. In general the water levels are very high
around
Montezuma.

Last stop was the Seneca County Ag. Fairgrounds a.k.a Lott Farm and we hit the
jackpot
of field birds. We immediately got on 3 UPLAND SANDPIPERS right by the gravel
road (thanks to Will's young eyes!). In addition, we had great views of HORNED
LARKS (close) and EASTERN MEADOWLARKS also close. The lighting was perfect
making these bird's yellow breast glow! We also saw the RED-TAILED HAWK sitting
on the nest in a tree at the edge of the field.

It was a great day and the best I have had personally at Derby in several
years. The
weather makes all the difference up there. Thanks to all in my group for a
wonderful
day of birding and fun.

Dave Nicosia

Welcome and Basics