Presented with many birding options this morning, my son Tilden didn't
hesitate - he wanted to go to Montezuma NWR.  Over the years, I've been
losing the motivation to drive up there regularly, but Tilden alone has
enough enthusiasm for two.  Just a few miles into the trip, he burst out, "I
love Monty!   Monty is great!  You can just drive around and see things
EVERYWHERE!"  And then he laughed with greedy but sincere and contagious
glee.

We made a couple of stops along the way.  Along Burdick Hill Road at about
9:40 AM, Bill and Carol Klepack and we saw a few EASTERN MEADOWLARKS by the
lone tree in the southern field, plus T's first NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRD of the
year and three distant BROAD-WINGED HAWKS rising on a thermal and drifting
away to the north.

Not long afterward, we stopped at Lake Road in Ledyard for more viewing of
grassland birds.  To my modest surprise, we saw and heard four male
BOBOLINKS in the tree behind the lone house on the north side of the road.
At least one was singing.  Before today, I'd never seen Bobolinks remaining
so stationary and positioned so high for so long.  It seemed obvious that
there are no females around yet to fight over.  Here we saw and heard a few
more meadowlarks, as well as some SAVANNAH SPARROWS.

At the MNWR visitor center, we divided an hour among the pleasures of
watching PURPLE MARTINS, GREATER and LESSER YELLOWLEGS, DUNLINS in breeding
plumage, many GREEN-WINGED TEAL, and a few BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  We saw both of
these dabbling species again, plus NORTHERN SHOVELERS and GADWALL, at both
Larue's Lagoon and Benning Marsh.  Two CASPIAN TERNS flew slowly southbound
above the Seneca River.  We also saw heard a VIRGINIA RAIL across from
Benning, issuing its typical penetrating percussive call.

By the time we reached the end of the Wildlife Drive at 1 PM, we were both
quite satisfied and suddenly very tired, so we decided to retire for the day
as winners and head home.  But we did get a few bonus encounters en route -
both accipiter species, Jeff Gerbracht and SFO participant Gundi (who told
us of their exciting day at Braddock Bay), and a dish of incomparably
excellent ice cream at the Cayuga Lake Creamery.

Mark Chao