Jay wrote:
> Migrants seem very slow today

Yeah, the satellite last night showed mass movements here and west of
here and southwest (all the way to Georgia and Texas), but almost
nothing due south of us -- i.e., many birds left us to go north, but
few from south of us came up.

I'd been looking at the local wind forecast, noticing a bunch of
southerlies in the coming days, and so expected (or hoped) that would
translate to a big push. But then I decided to check the wind forecast
for Richmond VA and Raleigh NC (as two arbitrary datapoints south of
us) and they both show northerly winds through the weekend. This would
imply that the big stall continues somewhere south of us, and the big
push may not arrive til next week.

Suan

PS. Scouting Hammond Hill this morning (for this weekend's CBC field
trip, Saturday 8:30am, meet at lab), I heard raven and winter wren and
blue-headed vireo and many black-throated-greens and ovenbirds; and
ran across two hermit thrushes. Lot's of mosquito-like insects about,
alas.