I am glad we are having this discussion about noting locations.  I must say,
as a relative newcomer to the Ithaca area, it has been quite a challenge to
figure out where some of the posts are referring to---but I find it very
helpful when people mention at least the approximate town they are referring
to.  Even just a general, "ballpark" location such as that helps me to
decide whether to spend the time looking up the specifics.  (I guess we have
to look things up, to narrow things down!---but I digress)  I don't have a
GPS device, and my Internet connection is too slow to allow me to use Ebird
( it just won't load, it is so graphics-heavy), so I rely mostly on paper
maps and books.  I was so glad when the Guide to Birding the Cayuga Lake
Basin came out, as I finally began to discover where some of these places
are.  For example, until the book came out, I thought the "potato building"
was on the Cornell campus!  But when people say things like "Smith Road",
the red barn", "the upper field", and so on, I am still often at a loss as
to where to begin.  I am gradually making progress, however.

I also try to keep my gas costs down, so I generally don't go far for one
bird, except for special occasions, but if there are several nice birds
clustering in a rough area I might investigate the details and make the trip
  If it is a rare or unusual bird of course, greater detail is very welcome.
 I would imagine that it could get quite tedious to be typing a lot of GPS
numbers along with the message, for the majority of posts.  At least a
mention of the nearest town (except for the most well-known places) should
be quick and easy.

One other thing---I encourage folks to continue to mention if they are
willing to take a rider for a given trip!  I'll try to do the same!

Don Timmons
Newfield