Tom Johnson and I spent the morning birding a few areas in the Finger Lakes.
Here's a quick summary of our birding along with links to eBird checklists,
many of which have photos, more comments , and links to a map of the location.

We started birding at Island Park on the north end of Owasco Lake, which had 3
Red-breasted Mergansers and 10 Snow Geese. The mergansers were all on the water
when we arrived and then flew up, circled and flew off to the west.
eBird Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13994840

We spent the rest morning birding northern portions of the Montezuma Wetland
Complex.

Carncross Road was highlighted by 2 Trumpeter Swans, a family of Sandhill
Cranes including a recently hatched bird, and a fabulous female Wilson's
Phalarope. Perhaps the biggest surprise here was the large number of Lapland
Longspurs, including several males that flew overhead several times, often with
American Pipits. In a quick check of eBird this evening, we only saw one other
May record in New York (Willie D'Anna, Niagara County 11 May 2012).
eBird Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S13995564

We headed over to Howland Island where highlights included a extremely
cooperative Cerulean Warbler (photos) and a Vesper Sparrow singing from north
of the parking lot at the end of Carncross Road.

>From there we headed to Van Dyne Spoor and the Sandhill Crane Unit of
>Montezuma. We arrived to find Jay McGowan and Livia Santana had just found a
>TRICOLORED HERON that flew over them, landed, but was hidden in the marsh.
>Luckily, over the next 110 minutes we were there the bird flew up out of the
>marsh several times and we enjoyed prolonged and excellent views of it in
>flight. Shortly after joining Jay and Livia, two Glossy Ibis flew directly
>overhead and straight away, never to be seen again (at least by us). There
>were also good numbers of Black-crowned Night-Herons, Green Herons, Great Blue
>Herons and at least one American Bittern, and nesting Trumpeter Swans. We also
>had several flyover Lapland Longspurs here. Just before leaving we had
>prolonged views of a mink.

Towpath Rd./ Knox-Marcellus Marsh was fairly uneventful.

Christopher Wood
eBird Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology
http://ebird.org