Hi all,
Today's lunch walk seemed like the usual late spring walk with lots of birds
singing. Most residents are back with a few migrants.  Regular breeders were
AM. Redstart, Chestnut Sided, Common Yellowthroat, Eastern Wood Peewee, Great
Crested,  Warbling Vireo (2 pairs), Red-eyed Vireo (2 males), Pileated
Woodpecker, Red-bellied, Hairy, Tree and Rough-winged Swallows, Three orioles
and Grey Catbirds.
Among migrant there was a Magnolia warbler singing and a singing Swainson's
Thrush. There was a flycatcher of sorts which I could never get a good look at.

Rough-winged swallows are nesting in gap of an embankment along Fall Creek.
Female was collecting grasses from the garden and taking it to the nest hole,
while the male chirped outside.

There is a strange multiplex apartment complex near the Ken Post green house in
a dead stump. On topmost floor there are two holes facing north and east and I
have seen chickadees entering both holes almost at same time. I am not sure if
they are connected.  About four inches below there is another hole, no owners I
have seen yet. Below that is the third hole occupied by a pair of Downies. I
saw the female peering out of the nesting hole today. Last week I saw them
mating in front of their house.
Chimney Swifts are nesting in the ex-toxic chemical building (now Ag School HR
building) in a chimney and often they circle in front of my window and over
Mundy too.

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail and Pearl Crescent were also seen.
Meena

Meena Haribal
Boyce Thompson Institute
Ithaca NY 14850