Hi birders,

I am working on a research project with Dr. David Winkler on the foraging
habits of tree swallows during cold snaps. Like us, many of you who bird
around Ithaca have probably observed large foraging aggregations of
swallows in places like the Cayuga Lake inlet, Myers Point/Salmon Creek,
and Dryden Lake during cool, cloudy weather (like today). We're interested
in getting samples of tree swallow food from places where swallows feed
most intensively in this kind of weather to assess just how important these
foraging habitats may be to the local population of breeding swallows
throughout the breeding season.

To better target our sampling of food sources, we'd really benefit from
your help! If you are near a place in the southern part of the lake basin
where you observe (or have observed) a large flock of  swallows, we'd love
to know about it (where were you? when was it? were swalllows feeding on
the wing or resting in trees/wires?). We'll certainly be using eBird data,
so we'd especially love to know about sightings that would not otherwise
have ended up in the eBird database.

Thanks for your time in reading this request and, in advance, for any help
you can offer.

Good birding!
Chris Dalton
Ithaca, NY