Hi Chris and all,
Stuart, Dave and I headed north today. The white caps at Myers were wild,
but at Puddlers off Towpath Road, we also had white caps. We also thought
we saw some in the large puddles on Towpath Road. A very windy day!

Birding was good. Stewart Park had MANY Chimney Swifts in the air. At the
boat dock at Union Springs there were 23 Common Terns, 20+ Dunlin (Dave
counted them). Stuart needed Common Terns for the year, so he saw lots. I
think the high count for Bonaparte's Gulls was 6. (I left my notebook at
home so I couldn't record stuff). At the main pool at Montezuma there were
many Least Sandpipers, Semi-palmated Plovers, 8 Black-bellided Plovers in
different plumages, and a Lesser Yellowlegs. The Dunlin were numerous.  We
saw all swallows except for Cliff. No Glossy Ibis showed up for us at
Bennings or Mays Point. At the beginning of Towpath Road near the first
dike, Dave found a young Orchard Oriole which gave us great looks swaying
with the tree branches.  Further up the road we saw 3 Great Egrets and 2
Trumpeter Swans.  Our next great event was Martin's Tract where Stuart saw
a Virginia Rail in the water, then it flew, then the guys saw it. It
grunted soon after that. The only other event was seeing an Osprey catch a
fish on VanDyne Spoor Road. It was moving around with the fish like it was
showing off.  Then an immature Bald Eagle decided to chase it.  We got out
of the car to watch the drama, but the eagle flew off.  Maybe we
accidentally scared it away.  Oh, well.
Good Birding,
Ann