Judging by the way the female acted today, the first osprey chick at Salt
Point probably hatched this morning. It was great fun to watch the change
in the pair's behavior. Instead of taking the fish delivered by the male to
a tree, the female stayed on the nest eating it and giving some to the
chick, I presume. (I can't see well enough in to the nest to see all the
action.) The male, who always incubated the eggs when the female left the
nest, seemed confused by the change of routine. He kept making intention
movements to get on the nest, but was thwarted by the female each time. So
instead of incubating, he spent his free time guarding the nest, which he
has not done since the early days of the nest when he was still claiming
ownership.

When the female was done with the fish, instead of flying off with the
leftover, he did something novel. The female let him stand on the platform
box and finished up the fish scraps in the nest. The next two fish
deliveries were similar with the female staying on the nest, although there
were no leftovers and he no longer attempted to incubate. I saw similar
eating behaviors in the males on the Cornell and Audubon osprey cams.

Usually young ospreys lay 2-3 eggs about 2-3 days apart and the eggs hatch
in the order they were laid. If our ospreys follow the norm, we should have
at least one more chick on Tuesday or thereabouts, and perhaps a third. The
chicks grow very quickly, so we might see little heads poking up fairly
soon.

Candace Cornell