OK OOB I know, but I thought I knew what he was when I saw him, and
now that I have looked him up I think I am wrong.

I went kayaking at Dorchester Park (Whitney Point Lake) and towards
the middle was a lone bird who was diving for breakfast. I  thought he
was a grebe, but the only one who matches up with his size and shape
is a western grebe.

He had a dash of rust on top of his head, a yellow to black beak that
was elongated, dark body and I am pretty sure dark feet. Bright eye.
He kept it on me as I paddled around him but never showed any great
concern until a motorboat went by and he took off flying. Although he
was black and white from underneath, I don't recall such a contrast
when he was on top of the water; the sun could have made his coloring
odd when in the sky.

It was my first trip out to big water (well bigger than our pond) so I
was nervous about taking my phone out to snap a pic. Does this bird
sound like anything any of you know?