I Saw an E. phoebe diving into the lake, off a fallen willow snag in the water
near my beach. It actually dove quickly under the water & out again, & flew up
to the over-hanging branch. There it fluffed its feathers & preened, then
repeated its dives a few times.

My brother has a house on one of the barrier islands in North East Florida
south of St. Augustine. (By Atlantic Ocean).
They have a typical concrete birdbath. Last spring I noticed that whenever it
had not rained - which provides puddles for drinking fresh water in that sandy,
well-drained area - many different species of birds competed to drink from the
bird bath.
 Robins, mourning doves, Cedar waxwings, cowbirds, yellow rumped, warblers -
They would crowd the bowl and many times one was standing on top of another in
their effort to drink some water from the birdbath. 8-10 at a time! We had to
rinse & refill it many times a day!

When it rained, there were only a few birds there, I assume because they found
lots of freshwater puddles from which to drink.
Donna

Sent from my iPhone
Donna Scott