Dave and all,
Livia and I saw that bird last Saturday (20 July 2013) foraging over the
inlet and the west side of the Newman Golf Course as we walked back from
jetty woods. I too took it to be a leucistic Northern Rough-winged Swallow.
It was very pale but not white, almost the color of a Bank Swallow on the
back but with interesting wing- and face- patterns. Overcast skies and
swift swallows did not make for good photography, but I felt obliged to
document it anyway. My attempts can be found in the link below:
https://picasaweb.google.com/111137855303614931880/Summer2013#5905020357517554674

-Jay

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Dave Nutter <nutter.d...@me.com> wrote:

> This afternoon while walking on the Cayuga Waterfront Trail in Ithaca's
> Cass Park I saw an entirely BLONDE NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW (I think)
> foraging over the inlet just south of the Treman boat ramp. It's a
> strikingly beautiful bird, and I'd like to know if anyone else sees it, and
> where, and if they think it's another species. There were several other
> Rough-wings around, but also at least one BANK SWALLOW. I'm sure it wasn't
> one of the BARN SWALLOWS, nor do I think it was a Tree Swallow.
>
> Also of note, I encountered several YELLOW WARBLERS, which I suspect to be
> migrants. They were foraging low in bushes, short trees, and tall weeds,
> including in my yard, which was new for my lazy year of yard birding: #42.
>
> --Dave Nutter

> Subscribe, Configuration and
> Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/CayugabirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
> *Archives:*