Hi all,

I decided to go check out the meadows for darners and if I am lucky some
Somtaochlora and the creek for Least Clubtails, which I did not find any. I did
see many darners but could not get close enough view to identify them. But
there were no Somatochlora among them.

I ran into some nice birds. Right at the beginning there was a family of
Eastern Kingbirds making noise and begging for food.  Then in the first patch
of conifers I saw a Ruffed Grouse. From the second patch of conifers BARRED OWL
called twice. At the bottom of the gorge I found a lone OVENBIRD which gave me
very good looks for several minutes while it walked up the tree in nervous
manner. Then I heard the Winter Wren sing. I was about to listen to it
carefully, then I heard it coming from my pocket, well it was my cell phone
trying to get my attention! This is the second time I have been fooled!

Then on blue trail, I found a pair Juncos, initially I could not place the
calls though sounded familiar, then I looked up to realize they were juncos! In
the same area in the hemlocks there was a family of MAGNOLIA WARBLER, parents
and three young.  Both parents were feeding them with caterpillars from the
hemlock trees. I don't know what they were. Young were calling very softly. I
did record them but recording is very low but I can hear them.

Then found a family of chickadee and they were feeding on green caterpillars
from the dogwood shrubs.

Later I came across a bunch of fruit eaters feeding on honeysuckle fruits and
dogwood fruits that included a HERMIT THRUSH, a VEERY AND several ROBINS, an
EASTERN TOWEE, and a family of COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. A very yellow bird with
golden rod yellow under parts and white vent, I think it was a BLUE-WINGED
WARBLER as it dashed into the pines, I got just a fleeting view.

Then there were other usual birds such as Catbird, Goldfinch, Tufted Titmouse,
Bue jays, American Crow and there was a lone  TV circling in the sky.

On the way back at the junction of Hurd Road and Ellis Hollows, I saw a Kestrel
perched on a tree.

Somewhere a few hundred feet from the junction, I saw several dragonflies in
the sky. I could not park and watch as the road was narrow and a car was behind
me, but it looked like a feeding frenzy. I wish I had stopped to sort them out!
But they were so high it would have been difficult to ID.

But the best part of my trip were MSUHROOMS! I photographed 35+ species of
mushrooms, they were purple, red, yellow, Styrofoam white, orange, greenish
yellow and any other colors in-between. Some were tiny and some were as wide as
5 to 6 inches, some were smooth and others warty. There was one which looked
like a wide brimmed hat on a hat rack. I am sure at least a couple of them were
edible species. I was stunned by their beauty and variety. I will upload those
photos to a website at a later time and  give a link at a later time.

Overall it was a great trip! I was deciding between MNWR for shorebirds or
darners and emeralds. I am glad I did not drive 100+ miles round trip!

Cheers

Meena

Meena Haribal
Ithaca NY 14850