Dear CayugaBirds list,

We have now several crows dead of West Nile Virus in the Cayuga Heights area
and others have come into Veterinary Pathology from across our region.  For
Kevin, my grad students and I, it is REALLY important that we know about the
actual deaths (versus disappearances or dispersals) of birds in our study
population, which is centered in but certainly not limited to Cayuga Heights
and Cornell Campus areas.

So again, we ask for your help in noting and alerting either Kevin or I to the
location (and tags/bands, if tagged or banded) of any Ithaca area crows seen
acting sick or (being) dead.  Those quick emails have been invaluable in past.
And if you discover such a bird in your yard, please call or email and one of
the Crow-Groupers will try to get there to check it out and remove it as
appropriate or possible.

This also means that catbirds, bluejays, robins, and raptors may die or be seen
sick. The first positive bird this summer was a Wild Turkey in Michigan!

And it also means that we humans should avoid dusk and dawn mosquito
bites--long-sleeved shirts and pants when listening to evening or night
migrants!

Thanks so much,

Anne Clark (222-0905)