I spent a couple of hours this morning walking the Park Preserve and then the
community gardens on Freese Road, trying to get some birding in before the full
weight of the heat wave descended.

The Park Preserve was cool and a bit foggy and not especially birdy. I ran into
one chickadee "feeding flock" that contained a Magnolia Warbler, three Red-eyed
Vireos, and a single PHILADELPHIA VIREO (first of year for me). All together I
found 2 Magnolias, 4 Common Yellowthroats, and assorted WB Nuthatches,
goldfinches, Blue Jays, robins, and Song Sparrows.

At the Freese Road gardens I found at least two dozen Song Sparrows, about half
as many Savannah Sparrows, 5 Common Yellowthroats and a flock of some 40
Bobolinks. I was startled by how bright yellow-orange many of the Bobolinks
were. Used to seeing the tuxedoed males during the breeding season and only
hearing their "bink-bink" calls during migration, I was just not prepared for
such a brilliant display.

As I was finishing up , I noticed a kettle of 16 Turkey Vultures rising up in
the direction of the Game Farm.

Bob McGuire